This location is for Registered Users Only.
Perhaps you need to login or register.
13.1, 12.2, 12.1, 12.0, 11.3, 11.2, 11.1, 11.0, 10 or later
Linux, Mac, Windows
What is it?
MagicDefocus is an upgraded all-in-one version of the (Z)Defocus node with built in:
- Barndoors (cropped bokeh in edges of image)
- Lens breathing based on the bokeh created (spherical/anamorphic lens)
- 2D defocus and depth based defocus
- Easy to use bokeh creation tool, with a default beautiful bokeh
- And many more
Short demonstration video:
Watch the video here
How to install
Copy/move the MagicTools folder into your .nuke installation. Then merge the contents of the init.py file with your init.py file (if you do not have one copy the file provided in the zip). Or add the following line to the existing init.py file:
Left spherical, right anamorphic (also barndoors)
How to use
It looks very similar to the default Defocus/ZDefocus node, but it has a lot of extra options. All the knobs have a help text when hovering over the knob.
The first tab contains all the main controls for the defocus. The size slider controls the main size of the defocus, as well as the max size when using depth defocus.
To change to depth defocus, change the method knob to depth.
- The second tab is the bokeh creation tool. If you click the preview filter knob, it will give a preview of the bokeh created with the settings. You can also use your own bokeh kernel. To use your own image: set the filter type to image. Lens breathing is linked to the aspect ratio knob in this tab. When using for example 0.5, the breathing will be anamorphic. A value of 1 will make the breathing spherical.
- The third tab controls the non-uniform bokeh. Ticking the enable non-uniform checkbox will enable the other options. Hover over the knobs to see what everything exactly does!
Thanks for all the awesome responses!
v1.1 - Includes multiple small fixes;
- Pixel aspect other than 1 (anamorphic footage) will now output correctly
- Fix for rendering depth mode on farm (focal plane now set correctly)
- Fix for image artifacts when using high non-uniform values
v1.0 - Release
If you have any feature requests, questions, feedback or other ideas, feel free to contact me or leave a comment!
Special thanks to Chris Fryer who inspired me with his blogpost about cropping the image into slices, and for his excellent explanation of the amazing timeblur node.
Also thanks to everyone who took the time to look at the node, and gave me feedback!
Thanks for sharing!! )))
And found a weird bug on magic defocus, in combination with Oflow retime. When non-uniform bokeh was enabled, somehow magic Defocus was giving incorrect output frames when viewed from retime.